IAFA Music Lesson Policies
Required Student Participation
- It is the student’s responsibility to remember their lesson time and to bring all their materials to the lesson.
- Regular daily practice of assigned material is expected of all students.
- A log of daily practice time is recommended for each student.
- Students who do not practice on a continuing, regular basis may have to forfeit lessons or be asked to terminate lessons. Students terminated due to lack of practice are still responsible to pay all fees for the entire contract period.
- All students taking lessons are required to participate in IAFA student recitals as scheduled.
Missed Lesson Policy
- Please contact your instructor in advance if you know you will need to miss a lesson.
- As an alternative to missing a lesson, students/parents may arrange to swap lesson times with another student five times per nine-month contract period with prior approval from the instructor. Please plan accordingly.
- Lessons missed for personal reasons (doctor appointments, vacations, minor illness) will not be rescheduled.
- If a student forgets to bring their books or forgets to come to the lesson, that lesson is forfeited and will not be rescheduled.
- Lessons missed for emergencies (family death, emergency, illness that results in absence from school) may be rescheduled as the instructor's schedule will allow. The nine-month calendar contains a few built-in lesson dates beyond thirty that are to be used for this purpose.
- Details for lessons missed due to long-term injuries should be worked out with the private instructor.
- Lessons in excess of 30 are at the discretion of the instructor and will be used first to make up instructor absences and/or excused student absences, such as sick days, athletic events, field trips, testing days, and FABA or Nationals attendance. Teachers are under no obligation to teach more than 30 lessons within a nine-month contract year.
- Contracts for lessons are available for three, six, and nine month periods. Summer lessons are available for IAFA students by private arrangement with their instructor.
- The first bill is mailed around August 20 and is due by September 5.
- Lessons begin in late August (or the month you choose to begin lessons) and run until the contract expires.
- Assuming regular attendance on the part of the student, a minimum of ten lessons will be offered during each three-month contract, twenty lessons for each six-month contract, and thirty lessons for each nine-month contract period.